What Is DRM And How Can It Protect Your Online OTT Video Content?
Securing content on OTT platforms is crucial to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for users. With the rise of unlicensed use and piracy, video streaming providers must prioritize the security of their content, including live sports, movies, and UHD programming. One of the most effective methods for secure OTT content delivery is through Digital Rights Management (DRM). We provide OTT streaming solution in India
DRM refers to the tools and systems used to protect and monetize copyrighted digital material and intellectual property rights. Its purpose is to prevent misuse and theft of content, particularly over IP pay-TV services transmitted via the internet. While encryption has traditionally been used to protect digital content, it became apparent that encryption alone was insufficient. To address this, DRM and business rules were introduced to regulate how, when, and by whom a decryption key could be used.
Implementing DRM in OTT platforms follows a similar process regardless of the provider used. Here’s how DRM works in the OTT context:
- Uploading: DRM comes into play as content is uploaded to the OTT platform. Metadata associated with the content is collected and securely stored for retrieval when needed, such as displaying content details on the platform.
- Encoding and encryption: Upon upload, the digital content is encoded and encrypted using a cryptographic key. This process can occur before or during streaming, depending on the platform. DRM ensures content protection during transit between the video streaming server and the client-side. We provide OTT streaming solution in India
- Stored and ready for delivery: The encrypted content is securely stored and prepared for delivery. To request delivery and playback, a user’s media player needs DRM-centric licensing information managed and distributed by a DRM license server. This ensures secure playback and OTT security. We provide OTT solution in India
- Authentication and playback: Only authenticated viewers can access protected digital content. A mutual certificate exchange takes place between the DRM client and the DRM license server, allowing content to be released only to trusted playback systems. Major operating systems and browsers often have built-in support for such trusted clients.
However, there are challenges in implementing DRM in the OTT landscape. The existence of numerous and incongruent DRM systems poses a challenge, as it creates fragmentation and may impact the user experience. To address this, secure OTT video platform providers support multiple DRMs and leverage cloud-based multi-DRM services to ensure a transparent and unified quality of experience.
Another challenge is timely license delivery. Prompt and stable distribution of DRM licenses is crucial for seamless content decryption and playback. Delays in delivering licenses can result in frustrated viewers and potential subscriber turnover. For live events with a large number of simultaneous viewers, the scalability and availability of a multi-DRM infrastructure are vital for a smooth experience. We provide OTT streaming solution in India
Implementing a multi-DRM system in a secure OTT video platform can help reduce complexities in back-end applications. It mitigates challenges posed by diverse devices, such as smart TVs, set-top boxes, smartphones, and tablets.
A multi-DRM solution should be compatible with various media-related solutions, such as encoders and players, allowing for quick and efficient implementation and deployment.
Several popular DRM platforms exist to protect video content:
- Microsoft PlayReady: Widely used DRM platform with support for various devices, including mobile, set-top boxes, and CE hardware.
- Apple FairPlay: Protects DRM streaming and playback on iOS devices, securely delivering streaming media through HTTP live streaming protocol.
- Widevine: Offers free-to-use, standards-based technologies for OTT apps and CAS services, supporting a wide range of devices.
- Adobe PrimeTime DRM: Ultraviolet-approved DRM solution for video content protection, compatible with desktop, iOS, Linux, Xbox, and other platforms.
- Marlin DRM: Open-standard content protection system for consumer devices, supporting various media content and flexible business models.
- CMLA-OMA: OMA DRM, designed for smartphones, PDAs, and personal computer clients, helps develop an interoperable ‘end-to-end trust model’ for content delivery on mobile devices and PCs. We provide OTT solution in India
Implementing DRM in the OTT industry offers several benefits:
- Spreading knowledge about copyrights and intellectual property: DRM setups help content distributors and providers understand the importance of copyrights and intellectual property rights in delivering legal media content that rewards owners and distributors fairly.
- Honoring license agreements and technologies: DRM systems uphold license agreements, protecting content creators’ work and ensuring revenue is not compromised.
- Protecting income streams: DRM services enable the rightful beneficiaries of content to profit from its success on VOD platforms, preventing unauthorized third-party exploitation.
- Restricting copying, lending, and unethical file-sharing: Safeguarding content transmitted over the internet limits unauthorized copying, lending, and distribution without proper permissions, maintaining fairness in the OTT system.
- Enabling parental controls: DRM systems allow parents to regulate their children’s access to age-appropriate content, ensuring a safe viewing experience.
- Controlling access to sensitive information: DRM implementation safeguards private and confidential information, protecting both content distributors and users from hackers and phishing attempts.
- Improving brand value: DRM services communicate the platform owner’s commitment to safety and intellectual rights, fostering trust, accountability, and transparency among viewers, thereby encouraging more people to use legal OTT services that source content ethically.
In conclusion, advanced multi-DRM systems serve as the foundation for a robust content protection policy in the OTT industry. These system-agnostic solutions enhance content quality, improve usability, and enable efficient monetization of premium content in a legal and ethical manner.